Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.
The Holiday season is upon us, which in the south means two things. Cooking and Baking. This Vegan Pumpkin Pie is an all american favorite sure to please even the pickiest eaters at your holiday table. Top with a spoonful of fresh whipped heavy cream and voila! The perfect dessert at Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Many thanks to Dr. Daisy Sutherland for providing this family favorite!
Vegan Pumkin Pie
- ½ cup unbleached flour
- 7 Tbs. whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar or granulated sugar cane syrup
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 3 Tbs. almond milk plus ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 3 to 4 Tbs. water
- 2 cups canned pumpkin or puréed home-cooked fresh pumpkin see note
- 1 cup low-fat almond milk or rice milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar cane syrup
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ Tbs. dark molasses or to taste
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
To make Crust:
- In medium bowl, combine both flours, salt, sugar and baking powder. In small bowl, mix oil and almond milk mixture.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients and mix with a fork until it holds together in a ball. If it is too dry, add some water, a little at a time, until dough is moist enough to roll. (If time allows, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.)
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin forming an 11-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the dough. Flute or crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
To make Filling:
- In large bowl, mix all remaining ingredients until smooth and blended. Pour into prepared crust and smooth top. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake until filling is set, about 50 minutes. Set on wire rack to cool, then refrigerate overnight. Top with your choice of dessert topping if desired.