Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.
Southern women pride themselves on their cooking. And a memorable potato salad is but one of the jewels in the southern cook’s crown. I particularly love potato salad. And Spring brings on all sorts of occasions to show off my mad skills with my ‘tater salad’ recipes.
Recipes by the thousands can be found for potato salad, and most are copies of copies, passed down from mother to daughter, friend to friend and recipe book to cook. Most are good, all of them are loved through generations.
Occasionally I get a wild hair and want to try something a bit different. This Easter was NO exception. Along with the must cook ham, lamb, yams, asparagus, and yummy pies, I set out to strike a bit of a different note, with my potato salad. With a hat tip to Bob’s Beachside Bar and Grill( in Gulf Shores, AL ),for the inspiration on the dressing, I give you
Blue Cheese Potato Salad
- 3 Lb Red Potatoes optionally peeled
- 2 Stalks Celery diced
- 1 yellow onion diced finely
- 1 table spoon finely diced sweet gherkin pickle optional
- 3 slices crispy fried market bacon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 pound crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Extra Blue Cheese crumbles for salad topping
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add red potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop into 1 inch cubes. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl
- Stir in Blue Cheese Dressing as follows
- In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, blue cheese, balsamic vinegar, pepper, and garlic powder. Gradually blend in the buttermilk until the dressing has reached the desired consistency. Cover, and refrigerate until serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and a little paprika , blue cheese crumbles and crumbled bacon.