Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.
Love cornbread? Or just want a taste of the ‘real south’? This perfect everytime southern buttermilk cornbread is what you need !
First you need to invest in a southern cook’s go to tool. A 9″ cast iron skillet! Season it well (don’t depend on preseasoning to get you through) and then purchase only the finest creamery butter and buttermilk. Don’t skimp on the basics!
I’ve used this recipe for years (it came from my Aunt Dot) and its foolproof!
Perfect Cornbread every time ! (Personally I skip the sugar, because I just don’t like sweet cornbread, some do).
Give it a print! And let us know how your cornbread comes out!
Best Ever Southern Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. plain yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar optional
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter melted in cast-iron skillet
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cultured buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet and pour into glass measuring cup or bowl. Using what's left in the skillet lightly grease and heat in oven 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt in a bowl.
- Whisk eggs in seperate bowl and whisk into buttermilk. Whisk into the dry mixture until just smooth.
- Whisk in hot melted butter
- Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake at 400° for 30 to 33 minutes or until golden brown.
Hot Butter added to the batter is the secret key for perfectly browned cornbread!