Even the fruit cake haters in your house will love these
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (softened)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (separated)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 8-ounce package chopped dates
- 1/2 pound red candied cherries (quartered)
- 1/2 pound candied pineapple (chopped)
- 1 15-ounce package golden raisins
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, beating just until blended.
- Combine baking soda and milk, stirring until soda dissolves; add orange juice.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients. Combine 1/2 cup flour mixture, dates, and next 4 ingredients, tossing gently to coat.
- Add remaining flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Gradually stir fruit mixture into batter.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 300° for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cookies may be stored in an airtight container up to 1 week or frozen up to 3 months.