Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.
Super easy and a great way to get those vegetables in. Even picky eaters love this soup and cooking in a crock-pot means fuss free! Prep can be done the night before or even days before and additions frozen. We call it clean out the freezer soup around here, because I can use all the bits of frozen veggies I have left over to add in for extra hardiness.
Southern Style Minestrone Soup
- Cook Time: 360 minutes
- Total Time: 360 minutes
- Yield: 8 -12 1x
Super easy and a great way to get those vegetables in
- 1 cup Sweet Onion -Diced
- 1 cup celery -Diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 bag Mixed Dried Beans -Cleaned (Soaked and Drained Well)
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Large can VegAll Mixed Vegetables
- 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 pound Ground Beef -Browned and Drained Well
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 cup ditalini -Barilla
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- Clean, quick soak and drain 1/2 bag mixed dried beans, set aside.
- In a large iron skillet, brown off 1 pound of ground beef, drain well and set aside.
- In another iron skillet , heat 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in onions, celery; cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender remove from heat and set aside.
- In large crockpot (mine is a 6 quart, perfect for soups and chili!) Combine beef and chicken stock, tomato sauce, dried beans, onions and celery, large can of Veg-all® mixed vegetables (drained if preferred),water and ground beef.
- Cover and cook on high heat until beans are tender (approx 3hrs)
- Add the Ditalini or Pastina in by hand stirring well after each addition. Re-cover and cook on low heat until pasta is done. (20 min).
- Serve with cornbread or home made biscuits