Divine Sunday Dessert
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks (lightly beaten)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups sliced ripe bananas (about 5 to 6)
- 45 vanilla wafers (add more if you like cookies)
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine flour and salt in medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir in whole and condensed milks and yolks, and cook over medium heat.
- Stir constantly, for 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Arrange 1 cup banana slices in a 2-quart baking dish.
- Spoon 1/3 pudding mixture over bananas; top with vanilla wafers.
- Repeat layers once; top with remaining bananas and pudding.
- Arrange remaining wafers around inside edge of dish.
- Gently push wafers into pudding.
To Make Meringue
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy.
- Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved (2 to 4 minutes) Spread meringue over pudding, sealing to edge of dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool at least 30 minutes.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Southern