A Hearty White Chili that’s heart healthy
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 skinned and boned chicken breast halves (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 15-ounce cans cannellini or great Northern beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can chicken broth
- Lime Juice
- Sauté chopped onion in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 7 minutes; add garlic, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken pieces, and cook, stirring constantly, until chicken is lightly browned.
- Stir in 3 cups water and next 5 ingredients; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Place 2 cans of beans in a blender; add broth, and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Stir bean pureé, remaining 2 cans of beans, in Dutch oven; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in lime juice just before serving. Garnish, if desired.
- Category: Main