Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This time of year I long for comfort. One of the best ever comfort foods comes straight from my mama’s kitchen. Mama’s Chicken Pot Pie (with a few easier steps) is sure to please even your pickiest eater. And its even beautiful enough to take center stage when you have guests! Mama made her crusts from scratch, and while I love homemade pie crusts, sometimes you just need to substitute a frozen or refrigerated crust for time sake. So, I’m giving you the substitute crust version here; its easy enough for a midweek dinner. The fillings are the same for both versions, take your pick! Either way you’ll love it!
My Mama's Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts OR
- 2 Marie Callenders® frozen deep dish pie crusts defrosted and placed in refrigerator OR
- 1 17.3-oz. package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1/2 can Campbells' Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic Soup
- 1/2 can Campbells' Cream of Chicken Soup
- 10 0 z Chicken Stock preferrably home-made but pre-packaged will do
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup yellow onions chopped (1 onions)
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas (2 cups)
- 1 idaho potato peeled and diced
- sea salt
- coarse ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
For The Crust
- Meanwhile roll out refrigerated crust for the bottom crust and place into 9-inch deep crust pie pan. OR
- Remove one defrosted pie crust from refrigerator and allow to come to room temp on counter after fitting into a 9-inch deep crust pie pan OR
- Roll each puff pastry sheet into a 12- x 10-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Fit 1 sheet into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the chicken stock, soups and poultry seasoning (set aside)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the soup mixture to the pot , stirring constantly for one 1minute more until it begins to thicken.
- Add half and half, salt and pepper, as you continue to stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in the chicken and veggies and mix well returning to low heat for approximately 2 more minutes being certain ingredients are mixed well.
- Remove from heat again
- Spoon mixture into prepared pie pan and level as needed.
Prepared Top Crust Options
- Place remaining piecrust over filling; fold edges under, sealing to bottom crust, and crimp. Cut 4 to 5 slits in top of pie for steam to escape. Place pie on a jelly-roll pan.
Puff Pastry Top Crust Option
- Place remaining pastry sheet over filling in opposite direction of bottom sheet; fold edges under, and press with tines of a fork, sealing to bottom crust. Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp. water, and brush over top of pie.
- Bake at 375° on lower oven rack 50 minutes. Brush lightly with melted butter and return to oven (covering the edges if needed to prevent burning)
- and bake 5 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes.