Time to get those slow cookers and Crock Pots out of the cabinet! More fall harvest goodness in this recipe than you can count! This slow cooker ratatouille will be a hit with your family and friends this fall! Use the freshest of produce for those bright fall colors. I buy loose herbs at the market and dry them myself, but you can of course use what you have in your larder. This one makes a great weekend meal! Serve with baked chicken or fish, perfect as a side dish or even as a main course!
Slow Cooker Ratatouille
- 1 large eggplant peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes about 3 medium
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large yellow bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 3 medium zucchini sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed through a press
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 5 1/2 ounce can pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped coarsely
- 2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence
- Balsamic Vinegar optional to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle the eggplant with salt; let stand in a colander 1/2- 1 hour to drain.
- Press out excess moisture.
- Rinse the eggplant with water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the eggplant in crock pot.
- Add onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, olive oil, basil, garlic, pepper and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on high setting about 3 hours or until the vegetables are tender but still hold their shape.
- Stir in the tomato paste, olives, and the Herbs de Provence.
- Before serving splash with a bit of balsamic and top with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot, room temperature or chilled.
You can find a pre-prepared mixture of Herbs de Provence in most grocery stores, but if you’d like to make your own, or just wonder what’s in it. Below is my blend (taken from an old Julia Child cookbook)
Herbs de Provence
- 2 tablespoons dried savory
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons dried fennel seed
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Store in an air-tight container.