A delicious blend of veggies, full of warmth and comfort
- 1 large eggplant (peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 3 medium)
- 1 large green bell pepper (cut into 1/2 inch squares)
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large yellow bell pepper (cut into 1/2 inch squares)
- 3 medium zucchini (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed through a press)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 5 1/2 ounce can pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped coarsely
- 2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence
- Balsamic Vinegar (optional to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle the eggplant with salt; let stand in a colander 1/2- 1 hour to drain.
- Press out excess moisture.
- Rinse the eggplant with water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the eggplant in crock pot.
- Add onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, olive oil, basil, garlic, pepper and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on high setting about 3 hours or until the vegetables are tender but still hold their shape.
- Stir in the tomato paste, olives, and the Herbs de Provence.
- Before serving splash with a bit of balsamic and top with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot, room temperature or chilled.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American