Homemade high protein and easy!
- 1 pound dried mixed beans (pinto, red, black (use your favs) rinsed and picked over, and soaked.)
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lean ground beef rough ground
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1 tsp dried
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes (diced canned are fine; don’t bother to drain)
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 or 2 fresh or dried hot chilies (seeded and minced (wear gloves)(optional))
- 1 bottle amber beer
- Drain soaked beans and rinse again
- Add 6 cups water and 1/8 tsp baking soda to beans in large crock-pot.
- Cook on high 4 hours or until soft.
- Meanwhile brown ground beef in olive oil and drain well.
- To the meat now add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano leaves.
- Add meat mixture to cooked beans (don’t drain off the water from the beans).
- Stir in tomatoes and Rotel.
- Add Dried Chiles and stir well.
- Pour in beer and stir again well. (all the alcohol cooks out so its family friendly)
- Reduce heat on crock pot to low and allow to cook until beans are at desired softness and mixture has thickened slightly.
- Sprinkle on Cinnamon and stir well.
- Garnish with your favorite cheddar, sourcream, guacamole or crispy tortilla strips.
If cooking for the family, optionally use Rotel mild and omit the chili peppers.
**The baking soda is a neat trick I learned to take the ‘gas’ out of the beans. Makes them easy to digest.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Southern