Simple and easy main course meal for meatless days
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1.5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup organic long grain brown rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1/3 cup shredded Italian Cheese Blend
- 3 teaspoons Fresh Chopped Basil
- Coarse Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
To Cook The Rice
- Bring rice, water, and coarse salt (1/4 teaspoon per cup of rice) to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce to a slow, steady simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Let the cooked rice sit for 10 minutes, covered, to absorb maximum moisture
- Remove the lid, and fluff the grains with a fork.
- Set aside.
To Make The Mushrooms
- Meanwhile,Remove the stems from the underside of the mushroom caps.
- Spoon the gills out from the middle of the mushroom caps.
- Discard gills and chop stems.
- Heat olive oil in small skillet on medium heat.
- Add chopped stems cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes, balsamic, and basil.
- Mix well, remove from heat and then add 1/2 of the cheese.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Brush either side of mushrooms with olive oil and bake un-stuffed in oven for 34 minutes. Remove, top with rice mixture, sprinkle remaining cheese on top and return to the oven for 57 min. or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian