It’s Thursday. Kind of a ho-hum day. The work week is almost up, then comes the weekend work. Blah. What’s for dinner when you don’t feel like cooking? This is the easiest ever midweek meal. Sure to please even your pickiest of eaters. And…you can cook it like a pro…without breaking the bank!
- 1- (41/2-5 pound) roasting hen. OR 3 cups cooked prepared chicken
- ½ c butter (margarine or butter blend if you prefer)
- 2- c onion finely chopped (vidalia onions if you can get them are perfect)
- 1- ea (small)green, bell pepper chopped finely
- 1 16oz loaf Velveeta cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 8 0z pkg finely shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 can Rotel brand chilies and tomatoes (for the kids use the mild variety, or leave it out all together and substitute one can diced tomatoes.)
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 small can chopped mushrooms (drained)
- 1 can petite english peas (drained)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1-16 oz pkg regular spaghetti (cooked AND drained)
- 1 cup dried seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ stick butter softened
- juice of ½ lemon
- In large Dutch Oven, place hen in with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce to simmer and ignore for 45 minutes to 1 hour. ( I usually do this the day before, but if you're pressed for time, cooking the same day works). Remove chicken from the pot, reserving the broth. Let cool slightly, pick from bones and chop into bite size pieces. Set aside. If you're using canned or prepared chicken, obviously skip cooking it.
- Preheat oven to 350°, grease a 4-6quart baking dish well.
- In a large skillet, melt butter ,add onions and bell pepper cook just till onion is transparent and peppers are tender (about 5 minutes). Transfer to large mixing bowl unless you have a chef size skillet.
- Add 2 cups of the reserved chicken broth, cheese, rotel (or diced tomato), mushroom soup, salt and chicken. Stir well until cheese is completely melted. Add in spaghetti, mushrooms, and peas and toss well. Turn into prepared casserole dish.
- Stir breadcrumbs, softened butter and lemon juice together. Spoon on to casserole.
- Bake 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Serve with your favorite salad on the side and warm toasty garlic bread.