Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.
Just in case you have a load of hazelnuts and some chocolate and don’t have a jar of the 8th wonder of the world, aka Nutella, in the house. You can make your own! Homemade and vegan, without the additives usually found in store bought items, I give you our Copy CatNutella Spread. Smooth, creamy and delicious, just like the store bought stuff, but you make it so you KNOW what’s in it! If for some reason the recipe isn’t sweet enough for you, you can add a little honey or agave, but be judicious. The sweetener additions tend to thicken up and stiffen the spread and too much will make concrete pretty much. I’ve wasted more than one batch of roasted hazelnuts!
Copycat Nutella Like Spread
- 3 cups raw or roasted unsalted hazelnuts
- 2/3 cup dairy free dark chocolate chopped
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and add hazelnuts to a baking sheet in a single layer.
- If raw, roast for a total of 12-15 minutes to warm the natural oils and loosen the skins.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Then transfer to a large white cotton kitchen towel and use your hands to roll the nuts around and remove most of the skins.
- Add the skinless hazelnuts to a food processor.
- Process on low until a butter is formed, scrape the sides as needed
- In the meantime, heat the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second increments. Set aside to cool.
- Once the hazelnut butter is creamy and smooth, add the melted chocolate, sea salt and vanilla to the processor bowl.
- Process again until well incorporated.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding a little more salt or vanilla if you wish.
- Transfer to a clean jar and store at room temperature for everyday use for 2-3 weeks or more.