Deep South Biscuit Goodness
- 2 cups organic white wheat flour
- 1 teaspoons organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter (cold)
- 1 cup buttermilk (chilled)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs or cornmeal. (The faster the better, you don’t want the fats to melt.)
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir with wooden spoon just until the dough comes together. The dough will be Very sticky.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times.
- Press with your floured hands into a 1-inch thick round.
- Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough.
- Place scrupulously clean iron skillet into oven and preheat to 450 degrees. Once preheated, melt 3 tablespoons butter in skillet
- Place biscuits into hot buttered skillet so that they just touch. (use a potholder or mitt to remove skillet from oven its gonna be HOT)
- Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting if necessary.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown (they’ll be kinda high) (watch closely so that the bottoms don’t burn!)
- Allow biscuits to cool slightly in the skillet then remove with a flat spatula to serving plate or basket.
I use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached Flour and Domino Organic Sugar both are available at Fresh Markets, Whole Foods and online.
If you need a Gluten Free Biscuit, look at Bobs Red Mill Recipes.