Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Meat Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 6 large bell peppers green or stop light mixed colors tops cut away and seeds removed
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper use the tops
- 3/4 pound organic ground beef
- 1 pound organic ground Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 2 cups cooked whole grain rice optional
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Remove tops and stems from bell peppers, discard the stems and chop and set aside the tops for the filling.
- In a large pot of rapidly boiling water, parboil the bell peppers until just tender (this only takes about 2 minutes)
- Remove from boiling water with a slotted spoon and drain upside down on paper towels.
- Prepare the rice according to package and drain if necessary.
- In a LARGE Skillet, heat the oil over a medium high heat.
- Add in the onion and bellpeppers and cook, stirring constantly until just soft.
- Add the beef, sausage, salt, pepper, parsley, garlic and pepper flakes.
- Cook until meat is nicely browned. Use a wooden or metal spoon to break up any large lumps.
- Add the rice and tomato sauce. Stir until thoroughly blended.
- In a foil lined large baking dish, add just enough water to cover the bottom.( about 1/8 inch) (Use a pan with sides deep enough to hold the peppers upright)
- Spoon meat mixture into peppers so that they are stuffed tightly (press down a bit with the spoon)
- Place into foil lined baking dish
- Bake until peppers are 'very' tender and filling is heated through (about 25-30 minutes)
- Remove from oven and let rest about 10 minutes before serving.
Top your stuffed peppers with tomato sauce, or cheese after fully cooked. Remove from oven add topping and place back into oven on broil for a few minutes until cheese is melted or tomato sauce is bubbly. (watch closely so it does not burn)