Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.
A SUPER simple and quick weeknight meal. One pan, and all the deliciousness of your childhood memories! Yes meat stuffed bell peppers has it all , lots of protein, flavor and an optional rice add in. (Though they are perfection without the added carbs!)
Meat Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 57 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
Meat Stuffed Bell Peppers offer Hearty, warm comfort. Perfect for a mid-week dinner, one pan and easy clean up! This recipe makes a lot and freezing the extra gives you a head start on your next week’s dinners.
- 6 large bell peppers (green or stop light mixed colors tops cut away and seeds removed)
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper (use the tops)
- 3/4 pound organic ground beef
- 1 pound organic ground Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups cooked whole grain rice (optional)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Remove tops and stems from bell peppers, discard the stems and chop and set aside the tops for the filling.
- In a large pot of rapidly boiling water, parboil the bell peppers until just tender (this only takes about 2 minutes)
- Remove from boiling water with a slotted spoon and drain upside down on paper towels.
- Prepare the rice according to package and drain if necessary.
- In a LARGE Skillet, heat the oil over a medium high heat.
- Add in the onion and bellpeppers and cook, stirring constantly until just soft.
- Add the beef, sausage, salt, pepper, parsley, garlic and pepper flakes.
- Cook until meat is nicely browned. Use a wooden or metal spoon to break up any large lumps.
- Add the rice and tomato sauce. Stir until thoroughly blended.
- In a foil lined large baking dish, add just enough water to cover the bottom.( about 1/8 inch) (Use a pan with sides deep enough to hold the peppers upright)
- Spoon meat mixture into peppers so that they are stuffed tightly (press down a bit with the spoon)
- Place into foil lined baking dish
- Bake until peppers are ‘very’ tender and filling is heated through (about 25-30 minutes)
- Remove from oven and let rest about 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe makes a lot! The filling freezes nicely if you only want to make 2 or 4 peppers. I use a cast iron dutch oven to prepare the meat mixture. just makes it easier and there’s less cleanup in the end. (I’m messy)
Top your stuffed peppers with tomato sauce, or cheese after fully cooked. Remove from oven add topping and place back into oven on broil for a few minutes until cheese is melted or tomato sauce is bubbly. (watch closely so it does not burn)
Try these other easy weeknight meals:
Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps