Lime Pie With a twist!
Lime Curd Filling
- 2 tablespoons light rum (use the good stuff)
- 4 limes at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- Several sprigs of peppermint
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the butter and sugar together until they are just combined.
- Add the vanilla. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture.
- Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk
- Press the dough into a 10-inch-round or 9-inch-square false-bottom tart pan, making sure that the finished edge is flat.
- Chill until firm.
- Butter 1 side of a square of aluminum foil to fit inside the tart and place it, buttered side down, on the pastry.
- Fill with beans or rice. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and beans, prick the tart all over with the tines of a fork, and bake again for 20 to 25 minutes more, or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
Lime Curd Filling
- Remove the zest of 4 limes with a vegetable peeler or zester, being careful to avoid the white pith.
- Squeeze the limes to make 1/2 cup of juice and set the juice aside.
- Put the zest in a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Add the sugar and process for 2 to 3 minutes, until the zest is very finely minced.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar and lime zest.
- Add– the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lime juice and salt and rum.
- Mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 2-quart saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- The lime curd will thicken at about 175 degrees F, or just below a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Fill the prepared tart shell with warm lime curd and allow to set at room temperature.
- Cover Lightly and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with thin twists of lime slices and zest, add a sprig of peppermint.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Southern