This curried Broccoli Cheese Soup is perfect for these last days of winter. Its not spicy at all and even the kiddos will give this one a thumbs up! Broccoli and Cauliflower are staples in our household. We snack on them raw, make salads and my personal favorite, SOUP. I stumbled into the curry powder addition by accident, but fell in love with the flavor and hope you’ll try this next time you make Broccoli Soup or Broccoli Cauliflower Soup. If you prefer a creamier soup, whir in your blender when done cooking and serve. We prefer the whole florets in ours. Don’t hesitate to toss in a bit of cauliflower if you have it available. You’ll love the flavor combo! Serve in a toasty Bread bowl or a heavy soup bowl.
- 2 large heads broccoli
- 2 medium onions
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1¾ teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cans regular-strength chicken broth (14 ounces each)
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese grated (add more if you like a creamy cheese soup)
- Trim tough stem ends from broccoli.
- Cut off 1 cup tiny florets from broccoli, steam separately until tender, and set aside for garnish. Coarsely chop remaining broccoli and the onions.
- In soup pot, melt butter over medium heat
- Add onion and curry powder, and cook until onions are limp and clear.
- Add broth and chopped broccoli.
- Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender when pierced.
- Stir in Cheddar.
- Use additional Cheddar for garnish.
- Whirl small batches of mixture in blender until smooth. (optional)
This one’s a winner from the word go!