Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.
I’ve been looking at a lot of pound cake recipes lately and they all seem to be the same, kind of like dump cakes. Just dump in the ingredients, beat the batter and bake. Nothing special here, move along! But this Honey Vanilla Pound Cake recipe, I found in a 2007 issue of Country Living, and I instantly KNEW I had to make it!
I love pound cake. From my mother’s classic million dollar pound cake baked in a tube, to my Aunt Bette’s Secret Recipe for Chocolate Pound Cake (I’ve never found a recipe that tastes like hers and she’s not giving it up!) , pound cake has been a family favorite for years. I like it because it’s not too sweet, has a good firm texture and you don’t HAVE to frost it. Its delicious just like it is with coffee, or with a strawberry topping and whipped cream. And baking one, is like a big hug!
Because I’m using honey almost exclusively for sweetener these days, plus the natural properties of honey for digestion and more, it seemed a perfect fit. I used Organic Clover Honey, though if I had any Orange Blossom Honey I would have used that instead and added some orange peel to the recipe. I absolutely vote this recipe as the Best Ever Pound Cake, it only took about 10 minutes to whip together and about an hour on the center rack of the oven. Just waiting for it to cook was sheer torture, the smell of honey and vanilla filled the kitchen!
Honey Vanilla Poundcake
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 1/3 cup Organic Sugar
- 1/4 cup Organic Clover Honey
- 5 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon. Salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly butter a 6-cup loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside
- Beat the butter, sugar, and honey together using a mixer set on high until very light and fluffy--about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt mixture and beat until smooth.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and bake until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean--about 1 hour.
- Cool 15 minutes before unmolding
What’s your favorite cake to bake? Do you have a favorite pound cake recipe? Tell us about it in the comments and your recipe could be featured here on Simple Plate!